It is the patient’s responsibility to order repeat prescriptions when they are due to ensure continuity of medication. Prescriptions need to be ordered 48 hours in advance (excluding weekends).
There are several ways you can order a Prescription:
- Post/ By Hand – Please request your repeat prescriptions using the computer slip attached to your previous prescription or by written note. Please include a SAE if you wish us to post it back to you.
- Online – You can also order your repeat prescription through our online service Patient Access.
- Chemist – Alternatively many chemists now offer a delivery service, telephone your local chemist to enquire
Telephone requests will not be accepted unless in exceptional circumstances.
Patients on repeat medication will be asked to see a doctor, nurse practitioner or practice nurse at least once a year to review these regular medications and notification should appear on your repeat slip. Please ensure that you book an appropriate appointment to avoid unnecessary delays to further prescriptions.
Prescription Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
NHS Prescription Charges from April 2018
The NHS prescription charge will increase by 20 pence from £8.60 to £8.80 for each medicine or appliance dispensed. This change will come into effect from 1st April 2018.
The cost of the prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) have been frozen for another year, see below:
- The 3 month PPC remains at £29.10
- The annual PPC will stay at £104, allowing unlimited prescriptions within a specified time period
PPCs offer savings for those needing four or more items in three months of more than 12 items in one year.
- Single charge: £8.80
- 3 month PPC: £29.10
- 12 month PPC: £104.00
Contact Details for PPC
- PPC telephone advice line 0300 330 1341
- General Public – Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website.